Monday, September 28, 2009

Last Sail of the Season

We pulled the boat out of the water and towed it back home on Sunday. Luck was on our side in the weather department as we had a beautiful Saturday afternoon sail down to Thumb Cove, which is about midway down Resurrection Bay in Seward. Our friends own the same sailboat as we do so I had the opportunity to take a few pictures of the MacGregor sailing on the water. Thumb Cove

After spending the afternoon on the water, Bryant and I mountain biked part way up Lost Lake Trail just outside of Seward. The trail was almost ideal, gradual uphill, not too many rocks or roots, great views but I say almost ideal because it was extremely exposed in places. By exposed I mean, if you were to tip over sideways, you're tumbling into a steep ravine never to be seen again and the best case scenario is being left dangling by the string of your spandex bike shorts in an alder tree with a couple of broken bones. This potential, but most unlikely situation, leaves me feel slightly ill at ease when heading downhill, so I tend to ride the brake a little more than usual. Resurrection Bay from Lost Lake Trail

After an almost successful downhill (Bryant had an unfortunate encounter with hikers that resulted in a deep blue bruise on his side), we headed into town to meet our friends for pizza and a bonfire on the beach.

On Sunday while strolling the docks, I paid particular attention to the boat names. While it is not unusual to see popular boat names like Odyssey, Luna Sea, or Escape and old fashion boat names like Nora Jane and Barbara Jean, there are still an overwhelming amount of boats that only people who live in Alaska or a northern region like Alaska would name their boat.I started snapping pictures of all these place appropriate names and decided to start a collection, which will have to continue next year as I won't be in any of the other harbors around the state for about 7 months. For my beginning slideshow collection of Alaskan Boat Names click: http://picasaweb.google.com/jillcaho/AlaskanBoatNames

For more pictures from Last Sail of the Season: http://picasaweb.google.com/jillcaho/LastSailingTripOfTheSeason

1 comment:

Editor said...

Hi Jill,

Great blog - thanks for sharing your adventures and pictures!

I am going to mention your site on my own blog - the boat name blog.