Sunday, October 6, 2013

Another Weekend Over Already

After a lazy Saturday morning around the house, Bryant and I packed our bikes and bags and headed toward the property.  We biked at the Kepler Bradley/Matanuska Lakes/Crevasse Moraine trails to enjoy the last of the fall colors.
Biking on the Matanuska Greenbelt Trails
The trails in this system remind me of silly string as they are tangled, woven, and crisscrossed in every direction.  I generally know where I am, but if I enter from a different trailhead, I often take a wrong turn and find myself momentarily confused.  The good thing is that none of the trails are too long, and eventually I pop back into a familiar intersection.  So was the case on Saturday. We ended up creating a fun figure eight type loop mixing up some single track and the double track in the farm fields.
Railroad construction looking south
Once again, the railroad project going on at the property provided us with some entertainment and discussion. The huge hill on our shared western boundary line has been brought down to railroad grade leaving behind a 35 degree hill that is going to make a perfect mini-ski slope. One of our friends suggested we turn our shabin (half shack/half cabin) into a chalet this winter.  I suspect we'll be competing for the powder runs against the snowmachiners, who will be busy high marking on this part of the unfinished railroad corridor.  

Railroad construction looking north
Someone also cut and stacked trees on our property line's north easement that runs right along the road.  It seems to me we should have been notified that this was going on, but anyhow . . . we suspected they were clearing the easements to provide better visibility of the railroad where it crosses the road. So we made ourselves into good Alaskans and in the between the raindrops, chain sawed the stacked logs into lengths, loaded them into the truck, and drove home with some firewood for the winter. 

No comments: