Saturday, September 28, 2013

Fall

A couple of weeks ago, snow started to rear its ugly head up high in the mountains.  It's been such a rainy fall, it's surprising I was even able to find a day to take a picture.  On September 23rd, Gus and I walked to the bus stop with little snowflakes all around us.  By the time I went to work an hour and a half later, there was a thin layer across my windshield that I had to swipe away.  Of course the kids at school were excited.  As weather would have it this time of year, it was melted by the time I left work and the only evidence that it had snowed at all were the little snowmen left behind in the soccer field.
In between the raindrops, a construction crew has been busy most of the summer, "improving" the 1/2 mile stretch of road between us and the main drag.  If my boys were 4 years old again, I would find this project a source of entertainment as the novelty of seeing the equipment would supply many hours of joy.  But as it stands, its been a little irritating.  Twenty-five years ago, a section of road was built in the electrical easement, and now they've decided there are enough funds in the borough budget to make the electrical company happy and improve the spring drainage.  I've had a hard time appreciating this new and improved road because all I ever see are big ditches my teenage drivers could slide over in the winter and what used to be a get out and push stuck now becomes a "call the tow truck" situation. 
Last weekend, Wyatt and I drove to Fairbanks.  There were beautiful blue skies, fall colors and Denali mountain views for most of the way.  Since we'd left so early in the morning, I witnessed a range of colors and shadows across the Alaska Range.  It was one of those moments that Bryant and I often joke about and say, "Why would you want to live anywhere else?" I experienced another moment like that 24 hours later as I approached the backside of Ester Dome, 14 miles into the Equinox, Marathon when southern views of the Alaska Range and Denali came into view.  I just completed 2000 feet of climbing on trails and knew I had accomplished something I wasn't sure on how I would fair. Furthermore, I had energy left in the tank and had these wonderful views to reward me. "Why would you want to do any other race?"  
I finished the last half feeling pretty good and wondered if I signed up for it next year, would Wyatt be attending UAF like he so enthusiastically expounded upon during our campus visit the day before or if he would choose some other path. 
As it stands today on this Saturday morning, we are quickly falling into winter, but I cross my fingers that the snow stays up  high for another month.



No comments: