Friday, May 17, 2013

Counting Down the Days . . .

 For many years, I brought Wyatt and Gus to early morning Jazz band sessions.  Then when Wyatt transferred to online courses in January and Gus wasn't in band, early mornings drives to Palmer ceased to exist. The 1/2 mile walk to the bus stop at 6:30 in the morning became the new daily routine. I was a little taken back when he said wanted me to walk with him, but then again Gus does have some hang-ups about being alone in the dark with moose lurking in the nearby forests.  Throw in some minus February temperatures and winds and its not too surprising he wanted some company each morning. 

When it started getting lighter, I would hint at not joining him on this jaunt as going back to bed for 45 more minutes seemed much more appealing. After all why would a 15 year old want his mother tagging along beside him to the bus stop.  Then I pulled in the whole situation.  His entire bus has about 8 sleeping apathetic teenagers on it and the neighbor boy still gets driven to the bus stop, so he's not really drawing any extra negative attention to himself.  Because I have the desire to want him to keep going to school, the 1 mile walk each morning is a minor contribution on my part. Beside at some level I find it kind of cute. But by this time of the year, we are ready to be done and we are both counting down the days . . . . 4 more. 

No comments: