Wednesday, February 6, 2013

20 Years and Counting . . .

On February 6, 1993, my parents drove me 4 hours from Chassell, Michigan to board a plane in Green Bay, WI to fly to Anchorage, AK.  I had with me my road bike and a backpack.  My volunteer obligation with the Student Conservation Association at the Chugach National Forest was three months, but I knew the day I left I wasn't returning on the flight they booked for me; although at that time I hadn't quite imagined the time frame would turn into 20 years and counting.  Life happens and as one of our friends often says, "You have to know when you have it good."  And that is the way things seem to work.  In the end the reasons for staying, outweigh those for leaving.  It will be interesting to see how everything unravels in these next years.




No comments: