Monday, September 3, 2012

Observing Details in Nature

I was walking around on the sphagnum moss near the pond at our property and a slight movement caught my eye.  At first I thought it was a spider.  When I moved a few plants around, I saw this wood frog that was about the size of a quarter. 
The wood frog is the only amphibian in Southcentral Alaska, and it isn't very often that I run across them. Maybe most of them don't like 7 months of winter and stay as far south as they can. 
While we were hauling wood and clearing brush, I saw this arrangement of mushrooms on a standing birch tree.  I'm not sure what kind of mushroom it is, but I thought it looked pretty cool. Maybe since there wasn't anything big to take pictures of like bear or moose, I had to look at the little details in nature that were worthy of a picture or two. 

No comments: