Friday, July 20, 2012

Kayaking on Eklutna Lake

In the past few days, I took advantage of a sunny weather window by sanding and staining our front deck.  I got tired of looking at the mildew stains and worn boards.  When I saw the forecast, I knew I needed to act quickly to get the job done.  After putting on the final coat of stain this morning, I talked Wyatt into a kayak trip to Eklutna Lake.  It is a state park that is 3 miles as the crow flies from our house but 30 minutes of driving.  I've been up there hiking, biking, and skiing in the past, but never kayaking.  I keep debating whether or not I like kayaking enough to buy one.   
Fortunately, Lifetime Adventures rents kayaks on site.  We decided on a two hour rental.  At first, we were a little out of sync and zigzagged a lot more than necessary, but eventually we were able to complete a loop around the front part of the this glacier fed lake without tipping over.  At one point, we stopped to snack, readjust the rudder pedals, and take pictures.  I was a little disappointed to have the clouds move in as these beautiful mountains always look better against a blue bird sky, but this is Alaska and I can't complain with the temperatures in the mid 60's, no rain, and Eklutna Lake as flat as a pancake. 

No comments: