Saturday, June 16, 2012

Taming the Jungle

I spent a significant amount of time outside yesterday trying to tame the jungle that invaded our yard during our 17 day absence.  That drippy rain I came home to makes every tree, bush, weed, and blade of grass grow until it feels like it will wrap you around the neck and strangle you to death.  It really is amazing how fast and tall some of the flowers and weeds grow around here especially given the 3 1/2 months of frost free days. 
Wild Rose
We, meaning the boys and I, managed to attack half of the lawn with what the boys called the worst lawn mower ever.  They whined plenty while it was their turn to push it around.  Gus asked if I even knew they made lawn mowers with wheels that pushed themselves and then mentioned that Grandpa Aho has a lawn mower he can sit on.  I said when he turns 74 he can get one of those too, but in the meantime keep pushing and quit complaining.  Although even I need to admit that given the length and thickness of the grass and weeds in the lawn, our mower wasn't what we needed for the job, but it was what we had and we made it work.  Amongst the jungle I did find a few of the early season wildflowers growing and flowers are one of my favorite things to take pictures of. 
Bluebell

No comments: