Monday, February 22, 2010

To the Yentna River

Two weekends ago we tried to make it to the Yentna, but the mechanical issues prevented success. This past weekend, we made it.  More than once while crossing Flathorn Lake and the swamps north of the lake in 6 inches of slush, I wondered if we were pushing our luck.  The rain early in the week and warm temperatures were haunting our weekend playground.  Although I had visions of the 440 Panther stuck in slurpy watery snow, I realized this would only happen if I failed to push the throttle.  Speed quickly became my friend.  This wasn't a trip for the weak, wimpy, or disabled.  Did I mention that Gus and his broken arm came along?  I told him is was better to come with us for the experience, than to sit around the cabin moping.  I'm not sure he's going to trust my judgement anymore. 
Susitna River and Sleeping Lady or Mt. Susitna in the background

When we hit the Susitna, we debated whether to continue or not.  Seeing as our stomaches were growling and a restaurant was a bit further up the river, we pressed on.  As it turned out, the rivers had a few areas where water pooled up on top of the ice, but it wasn't nearly as sketchy as the lakes and swamps. We made it to Luce's Resturant, which is on the Yentna River, west of the Susitna River.  
After a tasty lunch, we decided  to take the bumpier straighter route back to the cabin that included no big lakes or swamps. The entire trip was about 65 miles. We closed off our evening with a nice bonfire and a tiny sliver of moon for desert.  
Gus on the Yentna River on the Panther


No comments: